Correct pronunciation: \ ‘[ruh] + [kal] + [si] + [truhnt], ri-ˈkal-sə-trənt\
1. stubbornly resistant to authority or control;
2. marked by stubborn resistance to authority;
3. difficult to manage or operate
If someone is so pig-headed that he will not budge on an issue, call him recalcitrant
Part of Speech (POS):
Why is it important to know a word’s part of speech?
Understanding the different parts of speech is important for understanding how words work and how words can and should be joined to make sentences that are grammatically correct.
If a word has multiple meanings, then how are people supposed to differentiate what definition is applicable?
Context clues are hints found within a sentence, paragraph, or passage that a reader can use to understand the meanings of new or unfamiliar words. Readers will need to especially pay attention to context clues.
Doing so will allow them to be able to decide upon the appropriate definition to fit the context in which the word is being used.
Synonyms for the word recalcitrant:
Remember, a synonym is a word or phrase that has the exact or near exact definition as another word or phrase.
Other word forms of recalcitrant:
recalcitrant = noun
Why is knowing various forms of a word important?
Knowing the various forms of a word allows the writer to use a word they like in many ways. This allows for creativity and varied sentence structure, which are important to writing well.
Below are forms of recalcitrant used correctly in different sentence types:
• Despite being rewarded with money, the recalcitrant students did not complete their assignments. (Complex Sentence)
• The insurrectionists who stormed the Capital on January 6 were recalcitrant, and they refused to comply with police commands. (Compound Sentence)
While the members of the Senate voted on the bill for the second time, five recalcitrant Senators voted against the bill, and they stated that they would not change their stance on it. (Compound-Complex Sentence)
• The President called the man a recalcitrant. (Simple Sentence)
Here is the part where you get a chance to have fun and participate:
1. Write three complex sentences using the word recalcitrant.
A complex sentence is a sentence that contains one independent and at least one dependent clause.
An independent clause is a complete thought that can stand alone as a sentence.
A dependent clause is not a complete thought. It is a sentence that depends on the independent clause.
2. Write two compound sentences using the word recalcitrant.
A compound sentence is a sentence containing two or more independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction or semicolon.
3. Write four simple sentences using the adjective and noun word forms for recalcitrant.
4. After proofreading your sentences, type them into the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below (keep scrolling down).
5. Please review the 4 Types of Sentences workshop in our Basic Rules of Grammar category. At the very bottom of this page, you will find a search bar section where you can type in the words The 4 Types of Sentences to find the workshop and other helpful workshops.
6. Please review the Context Clues workshop in our Basic Rules of Grammar category. At the very bottom of this page, you will find a search bar section where you can type in the words Context Clues workshop to find the workshop and other helpful workshops.
A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback for the sentences you provide in the comment section below. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post those as well.
Writing Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word by consistently incorporating it into your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word.
We hope you enjoyed this reading and writing workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
Follow us on LinkedIn @dfoww
© Copyright 2021 dfoww, Incorporated
All Rights Reserved