1. To find a way around an obstacle
2. To overcome a problem or difficulty, typically in a clever and surreptitious way
3. To deceive; to outwit
This verb means to avoid — if you circumvent an undesirable task, you are witty enough to make someone else do the work.
– Vocabulary Dictionary
Part of Speech (POS):
Why is it important to know a word’s part of speech?
Understanding the different parts of speech is important for understanding how words work and how words can and should be joined to make sentences that are grammatically correct. If a word has multiple meanings, how are people supposed to differentiate what definition is applicable?
Context clues are hints found within a sentence, paragraph, or passage that a reader can use to understand the meanings of new or unfamiliar words.
Readers will need to especially pay attention to context clues. Doing so will allow them to be able to decide upon the appropriate definition to fit the context in which the word is being used.
Synonyms for the word circumvent:
Remember, a synonym is a word or phrase that has the exact or near exact definition as another word or phrase.
• get around
Other word forms of Circumvent
circumvention = noun
Why is knowing various forms of a word important?
Knowing the various forms of a word allows the writer to use a word they like in many ways. This allows for creativity and varied sentence structure, which are important to writing well.
Below are forms of circumvent used correctly in different sentence types:
• She circumvented her mother’s nosy questions. (Simple Sentence)
• Because he was assigned a parking space, the hectic task of finding a spot every day was circumventable. (Complex Sentence)
• He refused to communicate, and she became angry with his circumvention. (Compound Sentence)
• Despite the important nature of the task, Susan tried to circumvent a few crucial steps, and she was fired. (Compound-Complex Sentence)
In the above examples, we have provided the four English sentence types as examples to give you a visual of how each sentence type should be structured.
1. Write three complex sentences using the word circumvent.
A complex sentence is a sentence that contains one independent and at least one dependent clause.
An independent clause is a complete thought that can stand alone as a sentence.
A dependent clause is not a complete thought. It is a sentence that depends on the independent clause.
2. Write two compound sentences using the word circumvent.
A compound sentence is a sentence containing two or more independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction or semicolon.
3. Write two simple sentences using the verb and gerund form of circumvent.
4. After proofreading your sentences, type them into the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below (keep scrolling down).
5. Please review The 4 Types of Sentences workshop in our Basic Rules of Grammar category. At the very bottom of this page you will find a search bar section where you can type in the words The 4 Types of Sentences to find the workshop and other helpful workshops.
A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback for the sentences you provide in the comment section below. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post those as well.
Writing Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word by consistently incorporating it into your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word.
We hope you enjoyed this reading and writing workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
Follow us on LinkedIn @dfoww
© Copyright 2020 dfoww, Incorporated
All Rights Reserved