Adjectives describe or modify the meaning of nouns and pronouns to make them more specific.
• The woman’s cumbersome purse made the lengthy walk to the bus station quite unpleasant.
cumbersome = adjective being used to describe the purse
purse = noun
lengthy = adjective being used to describe the walk
walk = noun
cumbersome definition: unwieldy, heavy, bulky
Here is another example:
The torpid dog loved sleeping on the couch.
torpid = adjective being used to describe the noun.
dog = noun
- Select the adjective word group.
- It’s extremely important that you know how to correctly pronounce a word. Google a word that you do not know how to pronounce. Usually, there will be a megaphone next to the Googled word. Click on the megaphone to listen to the word’s correct pronunciation.
- Use Google or a dictionary to learn each adjective word definition.
- Write (2) compound sentences for each of the (3) three listed adjectives.
- A compound sentence is two (2) or more independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction or semicolon.
A. exuberance • eagerness • empathy (nouns)
B. exuberantly • energetically • effervescently (adverbs)
C. exude • earn • emerge (verbs)
D. exuberant • exceptional • empathetically (adjectives)
Here is an example of how your answer should be written:
D. This is the adjective word group.
• The exuberant student displayed her art project and the class cheered. (Compound Sentence)
• Stacy’s grandmother came for a visit, and the old woman’s exuberant joy was inspiring as usual. (Compound Sentence)
• His speech was exceptional, and the crowd cheered. (Compound Sentence)
• The heat that day was exceptional, and everyone stayed indoors. (Compound Sentence)
• Her cat empathetically nudged her, and she suddenly felt less lonely. (Compound Sentence)
• I was trying to speak empathetically, but sometimes I say the wrong thing. (Compound Sentence)
Now, it’s time to play the game.
A. haplessly • heinously • heartily
B. hapless • heinous • hearty
C. happen • heighten • hanker
D. haplessness • hearth • hibernation
A. mollify • magnetize • materialize
B. mass • malice • modesty
C. massive • mollified • macabre
D. massively • modishly • modestly
Pay it forward. Please share your sentences in the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below (keep scrolling down). In the comment section below, a member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback on the answers and sentences you provide. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post them below.
We hope you enjoyed this reading and writing workshop.
Keep up-to-date with each of our free online reading and writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
Follow us on LinkedIn @dfoww
© Copyright 2020 dfoww Incorporated
All Rights Reserved