1. rude, selfish or mean person
2. marked by a lack of civility or graciousness
3. difficult to work or deal with
A churlish person is rude. He or she is the one who was never taught to mind their manners and avoid telling vulgar jokes at the dinner table.
– Vocabulary Dictionary
Part of Speech (POS):
Why is it important to know a word’s part of speech?
Understanding the different parts of speech is important for understanding how words work and how words can and should be joined to make sentences that are grammatically correct.
If a word has multiple meanings then how are people supposed to differentiate what definition is applicable?
Context clues are hints found within a sentence, paragraph, or passage that a reader can use to understand the meanings of new or unfamiliar words.
Readers will need to especially pay attention to context clues. Doing so will allow them to be able to decide upon the appropriate definition to fit the context in which the word is being used.
Synonyms for the word churlish
Remember, a synonym is a word or phrase that has the exact or near exact definition as another word or phrase.
Other word forms of churlish
churlishly = adverb
churlishness = noun
Why is knowing various forms of a word important?
Knowing the various forms of a word allows the writer to use a word they like in many ways. This allows for creativity and varied sentence structure, which are important to writing well.
Below are forms of churlish used correctly in different sentence types:
• Despite Jennifer’s generosity, she is often churlish with men who seek to elicit and use women for their money. (Complex Sentence)
• It was very churlish of you to hang up the telephone while in the midst of a heated conversation you were having with your best friend Keisha, and you definitely owe her an apology. (Compound Sentence).
• Although Jennifer for the most part is a genial person, she has a zero tolerance for fake people, and she will quickly change from being genial to churlish, if she senses you’re being fake. (Compound-Complex Sentence)
• “His cocky, arrogant attitude and churlish behavior, is a huge turnoff for most women,” said Jennifer. (Simple Sentence)
In the above examples, we have provided the four English sentence types as examples to give you a visual of how each sentence type should be structured.
1. Write three complex sentences using the word churlish.
A complex sentence is a sentence that contains one independent and at least one dependent clause.
An independent clause is a complete thought that can stand alone as a sentence.
A dependent clause is not a complete thought. It is a sentence that depends on the independent clause.
2. Write two compound sentences using the word churlish.
A compound sentence is a sentence containing two or more independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction or semicolon.
3. Write four simple sentences using both the adverb and noun word forms for churlish.
4. After proofreading your sentences, type them into the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below (keep scrolling down).
5. Please review The 4 Types of Sentences workshop in our Basic Rules of Grammar category. At the very bottom of this page you will find a search bar section where you can type in the words The 4 Types of Sentences to find the workshop and other helpful workshops.
A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback for the sentences you provide in the comment section below. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post those as well.
Writing Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word by consistently incorporating it into your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word.
We hope you enjoyed this reading and writing workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
Follow us on LinkedIn @dfoww
© Copyright 2020 dfoww, Incorporated
All Rights Reserved