1. to make a bad or unpleasant situation better
2. to improve something or make it less severe
3. to relieve or soothe a negative effect
To ameliorate is to step in and make a bad situation better
– Vocabulary Dictionary
Part of Speech (POS):
Why is it important to know a word’s part of speech?
Answer: Understanding the different parts of speech is important for understanding how words work and how words can and should be joined to make sentences that are grammatically correct.
Synonyms for the word Ameliorate:
Remember, a synonym is a word or phrase that has the exact or near exact same definition as another word or phrase.
Other word forms of Ameliorate
amelioratory = adjective
ameliorative = adjective
amelioration = noun
ameliorator = noun
Why is knowing various forms of a word important?
Knowing the various forms of a word allows the writer to use a word they like in many ways. This allows for creativity and varied sentence structure, which are important to writing well.
Below are forms of ameliorate used correctly in different sentence types:
• Despite Amanda’s ameliorative, kind and gentle personality, Apollo berated her. (Complex Sentence)
• The amelioration in Amanda’s heartwarming speech uplifted the crowd, and her speech earned her an applause even from those normally critical of her. (Compound Sentence).
• Because of Amanda’s amelioratory disposition and mild personality, she was able to de-escalate the hostile situation, and all the police officer training that she received from the Police Academy proved to be very beneficial. (Compound-Complex Sentence)
• “The pain medication was used as an ameliorator for Apollo’s suffering,” said his wife Amanda. (Simple Sentence)
In the above examples, we have provided the four English sentence types as examples to give you a visual of how each sentence type should be structured.
1. Write three complex sentences using the word ameliorate.
A complex sentence is a sentence that contains one independent and at least one dependent clause.
An independent clause is a complete thought that can stand alone as a sentence.
A dependent clause is not a complete thought. It is a sentence that depends on the independent clause.
2. Write two compound sentences using the word ameliorate.
A compound sentence is a sentence containing two or more independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction or semicolon.
3. Write four simple sentences using both the adjective and noun word forms for ameliorate.
4. After proofreading your sentences, type them into the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below (keep scrolling down).
5. Please review The 4 Types of Sentences workshop in our Basic Rules of Grammar category. At the very bottom of this page you will find a search bar section where you can type in the words The 4 Types of Sentences to find the workshop and other helpful workshops.
A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback for the sentences you provide in the comment section below. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post those as well.
Writing Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word by consistently incorporating it into your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word.
We hope you enjoyed this reading and writing workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
Follow us on LinkedIn @dfoww
© Copyright 2020 dfoww, Incorporated
All Rights Reserved