Answer the questions below by writing your answers on a sheet of paper and also, typing your answers in the Leave a Reply/Leave a comment section below. A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback on the answers you provide.
Questions 1 – 4: Written Response
1. List three (3) different uses for the dash.
2. Write a sentence with at least two dashes used correctly and for different purposes.
3. Describe the length of the dash in reference to the hyphen.
4. What are the two types of dashes?
Questions 5 – 9: Multiple Choice
5. Dashes are not used before the name of an author or composer. True or false?
6. Which of the following are using the dash correctly?
C. – apples, oranges, grapes
D. Both B and C
7. The dash and the hyphen are the same type of punctuation? True or False?
8. The en dash is longer than the em dash. True or false?
9. Where did the em dash get its name?
A. It was named after a woman named Em.
B. It is roughly the equivalent length of a capital M.
C. Scholars choose dash names alphabetically.
D. There’s no such thing as an em dash.
10. Which of the following are dash uses?
A. A sudden change
B. To start a list
C. To signal an abrupt change
D. To set off a series within a phrase
E. All of the above
Write a short paragraph that encompasses all of the dash uses.
We hope you enjoyed this workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
© Copyright 2020 dfoww, Incorporated.
All Rights Reserved.