Answer the questions below by writing your answers on a sheet of paper and typing your answers in the Leave a Reply/Leave a comment section below. A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback on the answers you provide.
Questions 1 – 4: Written Response
1. List three different uses for the hyphen.
2. Write a sentence with at least two hyphens used correctly and for different purposes.
3. Why might someone hyphenate re-recollect or re-sign in a sentence?
4. What are the three prefixes and one suffix that always require a hyphen?
Questions 5 – 9: Multiple Choice
5. Hyphens require spaces on both sides when used properly. True or false?
6. Which of the following are hyphenated correctly?
E. Both A and C
7. The dash and the hyphen are the same type of punctuation? True or False?
8. Which sentence is correct?
A. The golden-brown dog jumped into the pool.
B. The golden brown dog jum-ped into the pool.
C. The golden-brown-dog jumped into the pool.
D. The golden-brown dog jumped – into the pool.
9. Where did the em dash get its name?
A. It was named after a woman named Em.
B. It is roughly the equivalent length of a capital M.
C. Scholars choose dash names alphabetically.
D. There’s no such thing as an em dash.
10. Which of the following are hyphen uses?
A. Family relations
B. Indicating stammering in dialogue
C. Forming a compound adjective before a noun
D. When spelling out compound numbers or fractions
E. All of the above
Write a short paragraph that encompasses all of the hyphen uses.
We hope you enjoyed this workshop!
Keep up to date with all of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
© Copyright 2020 Daphany’s Free Online Writing Workshop Incorporated.
All Rights Reserved.