1. a willingness to do or say something that shocks or upsets other people
2. excessive confidence or boldness; audacity
Use the noun temerity to mean the quality of being unafraid of danger or punishment. Someone who has the temerity to do something is usually considered to be bold in a foolish way.
– Vocabulary Dictionary
Part of Speech (POS)
Below are a few examples of how to use the word correctly in a sentence:
• Because Howard is so reckless, he had the temerity to vandalize his ex-wife’s car. (Complex Sentence)
• Howard’s temerity was on full display as he shouted racist statements at protesters and his refusal to comply with the officer’s request, lead to his arrest. (Compound Sentence).
• Despite Howard’s compromised immune system, he had the temerity to board a packed MARTA bus without wearing mask, so the passengers grew angry and criticized him for not following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Compound-Complex Sentence)
• “I can’t believe that Howard had the temerity to use profanity around his own children,” said Bobby. (Simple Sentence)
Here are a few synonyms for the word temerity. Remember, a synonym is a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase.
1. On a fresh sheet of paper, write three complex sentences using the word temerity. (A complex sentence is a sentence that contains one independent and at least one dependent clause).
An independent clause is a complete thought that can stand alone as a sentence. A dependent clause is not a complete thought. It is a sentence that depends on the independent clause.
2. On that same sheet of paper, write two compound sentences using the word temerity. (A compound sentence is a sentence containing two (or more) independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction or semicolon.)
3. After you have completed this assignment, please type your written sentences in the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below (keep scrolling down).
4. Please review The 4 Types of Sentences workshop in our Basic Rules of Grammar category.
A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback for the sentences you provide in the comment section below. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post them below.
Writing Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word, by consistently incorporating it in your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word. Figuratively speaking, you will own the word.
We hope you enjoyed this reading and writing workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
© Copyright 2020 Daphany’s Free Online Writing Workshop Incorporated.
All Rights Reserved.