Word association is one of the ways in which we build vocabulary. The goal of this word association game is to help our participants make connections between words.
Synonym: a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language.
1. Select the group of words that are synonymous with the subject word listed below. For this game, participants are encouraged to use Google and/or the dictionary to ascertain unfamiliar word definitions.
2. Google any word you come across that you do not know how to pronounce. Usually, there will be a blue or black colored megaphone next to the Googled word. Click on the megaphone to listen to the word’s correct pronunciation.
3. Select two new words that you have learned from this game. Using a new sheet of paper, write two compound sentences for each of those words. Afterwards, please type and post your answers in the leave a reply/leave a comment section below (keep scrolling down).
4. In the comment section below, a member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback on the answers and sentences you provide. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post them below.
1. Aversion = subject word
A. aspersion | inversion | incursion (rhyme)
B. disgust | loathe | repugnance (synonyms)
C. version | account | interpretation (looks similar + its synonyms)
D. appetite | fondness | preference (antonyms)
Here is an example of how your answer should be written in the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below:
• Michael loathed John’s attitude and he refused to work with him. (Compound sentence)
• Although Michael was satisfied with his new truck, he loathed paying the weekly gasoline costs. (Complex sentence)
• Michael’s repugnance for eating the broccoli desserts was obvious. (Simple sentence)
• Despite Michael’s repugnance toward John, he completed all his work assignments on time, and he worked well with his supervisor. (Compound-complex sentence)
Now it’s time to play the game.
1. Chicanery = subject word
A. candor | openness | fairness
B. flanerie | granary | extraordinary
C. cane | bastinado | staff
D. artifice | chicane | skullduggery
2. Sedulous = subject word
A. idle | inactive | unoccupied
B. assiduous | diligent | industrious
C. credulous | nebulous | petalous
D. delirious | distraught | agitated
We hope you enjoyed this reading and writing workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online reading and writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
© Copyright 2020 Daphany’s Free Online Writing Workshop.
All Rights Reserved.