One of the ways in which we build vocabulary is by word association. The goal of this word association game is to help our participants make connections between words.
Synonym: a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language.
1. Select the group of words that are synonymous with the subject word listed below. For this game, participants are encouraged to use Google and/or the dictionary to ascertain unfamiliar word definitions.
2. Google any word you come across that you don’t know how to pronounce. Usually, there will be a blue or black colored megaphone next to the Googled word. Click on the megaphone to listen to the word’s correct pronunciation.
3. Select two new words that you have learned from this game. Using a new sheet of paper, write two compound sentences for each of those words. Afterwards, please type and post your answers in the leave a reply/leave a comment section below (keep scrolling down).
4. In the comment section below, a member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback for the answers and sentences you provide. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post them below.
1. Remorseful = subject word
A. reminisce | recollect | remember
B. impenitent | unapologetic | unrepentant
C. apologetic | compunctious | contrite
D. forceful | resourceful | torso
Here is an example of how your answer should be written in the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below:
• “I tried to look contrite so the judge wouldn’t sentence me to jail,” Justin said. (Compound sentence)
• Because Justin was contrite, the judge sentenced him to serve probation instead of jail time. (Complex sentence)
• Justin was compunctious about the crime he committed. (Simple sentence)
• Despite Justin’s compunctious attitude, the judge sentenced him to jail because he believed that serving 10 days in jail was an appropriate punishment. (Compound-complex sentence).
Now it’s time to play the game.
1. Obdurate = subject word
A. obedient | compliant | amenable
B. compassionate | sympathetic | tender
C. considerate | doctorate | moderate
D. callous | insensitive | indurate
2. Taciturn = subject word
A. discern | concern | earn
B. laconic | reticent | reserved
C. garrulous | loquacious | gabby
D. tactful | diplomatic | polite
We hope you enjoyed this workshop.
Keep up to date with each of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
© Copyright 2020 Daphany’s Free Online Writing Workshop Incorporated.
All Rights Reserved.