One of the ways in which we build vocabulary is by word association. The goal of this word association game is to help our participants make connections between words.
Synonym: a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language.
1. Select the group of words that are synonymous with the subject word listed below. For this game, participants are encouraged to use Google and/or the dictionary to ascertain unfamiliar word definitions.
2. Google any word you come across that you don’t know how to pronounce. Usually, there will be a blue or black colored megaphone next to the Googled word. Click on the megaphone to listen to the word’s correct pronunciation.
3. Select two new words that you have learned from this game. Using a new sheet of paper, write two compound sentences for each of those words. Afterwards, please type and post your answers in the leave a reply/leave a comment section below (keep scrolling down).
4. In the comment section below, a member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback on the answers and sentences you provide. If you have any questions related to this workshop, please feel free to post them below.
1. Dishonest = subject word
A. promise | oath | pledge
B. disingenuous | fraudulent | perfidious
C. sincere | heartfelt | unfeigned
D. evil | nefarious | wicked
Here is an example of how your answer should be written in the Leave a Reply/Leave a Comment section below:
• The jury ruled that the perfidious senator was guilty on all the charges, so the judge sentenced him to jail. (Compound Sentence)
• George argued with the disingenuous news reporter about the bogus op-ed. (Complex Sentence)
• “Casey is being very disingenuous,” Billy said. (Simple Sentence)
• Robert works hard and he always arrives on time for work but outside of his job, he has a reputation for being perfidious. (Compound-complex Sentence).
Now it’s time to play the game.
1. Draconian = subject word
A. tender | warm | lenient
B. dracula | phantom | chimera
C. custodian | sodium | podium
D. oppressive | fiendish | wanton
2. Arrogant = subject word
A. famboyant | ostentatious | showy
B. humble | modest | lowly
C. insolent | supercilious | bumptious
D. selfish | egotistical | narcissistic
Keep up to date with all of our free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
Follow us on Instagram @dfoww_edu
© Copyright 2020 Daphany’s Free Online Writing Workshop.
All Rights Reserved.