One of the ways we build vocabulary is by word association. The goal of this word association game, is to help our participants make connections between words.
Synonym = a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language.
1. Select the group of words that are synonyms of the subject word listed below. For this game, participants are encouraged to use google and or the dictionary to ascertain unfamiliar word definitions.
2. If you ever come across a word that you don’t know how to pronounce, google the word. Usually, there will be a blue or black colored megaphone next to the word googled. Click on the megaphone to listen to the correct pronunciation of the word.
3. Select two new words, that you have learned from this game and write two sentences correctly using the word. Please post your answers in the leave a reply section below.
Respect (subject word)
A. contempt | despise | disdain
B. fear | presentiment | trepidation
C. reverence | esteem | admiration
D. perform | obey | implement
Here is an example of how your answer should be written in the leave a reply section below:
• Demetrius refused to board the airplane because of his presentiment a catastrophic crash would occur.
• I had a presentiment all morning something bad was going to happen to my elderly neighbor, Mr. Jones.
• Despite his calm television appearances, the company’s CEO reportedly has a lot trepidation about his future employment with the company.
• Linda’s childhood was full of trepidation, anxiety, and stress, as she bounced through more than a dozen foster homes.
Now it’s time to play the game.
A. prevent | obviate | preclude
B. irritate | celebrate | refudiate
C. disingenuous | indifferent | nonchalant
D. fabricate | equivocate | evade
A. innocent | harmless | safe
B. guilty | culpable | ashamed
C. nocturnal | night | midnight
D. harmful | dangerous | hazardous
Please share your answers in the leave a reply section below (keep scrolling down). A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback on the answers you provide below.
*Keep up to date with all of our Free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww