Part of Speech (POS)
1. a person who tries to get what they want by excessively praising or complimenting someone in order to make them feel attractive or important
2. a person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage
A sycophant is a person who praises others to make themselves look better, usually people in powerful positions. It is phonetically similar to the word psycho, but does not carry the connotation of being crazy.
Part of Speech (POS)
1. someone who goes overboard with compliments, usually to gain some kind of advantage
2. attempting to win favor by flattery
Here are a few sentence examples of the word(s) being used correctly:
• Patrick is a backstabbing sycophant, who’s constantly complementing the manager, in an effort to gain a job promotion.
• Natalie’s uncle Ricky is a wheedling sycophant, that will say and do just about anything for a free meal.
• Fred is a known sycophant, who’s always trying to illicit money from financially secure, plus size women.
• The annoying, sycophantic salesman, received a generous tip from one of his wealthy customers.
• The sycophantic senator’s excessive adulation for the president, earned him an official cabinet position at the White House.
Now it’s your turn, on a sheet of paper or in the comment section below, write a few sentences using both the words sycophant and sycophantic. Please pay it forward, share your sentences in the comment section below.
A member of our teaching staff will provide helpful feedback on the answers you provide in the comment section below.
Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word, by consistently incorporating it in your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word. Figuratively speaking, you’ll own the word.
We hope you enjoyed this workshop!
*Keep up to date with all of our Free online writing workshops.
Follow us on Twitter @dfoww_edu
Follow us on Facebook @dfoww
© Copyright 2019 Daphany’s Free Online Writing Workshop.
All Rights Reserved.