1. silly and pointless
2. lacking intelligence; stupid
Part of Speech (POS)
I’ll use it in a sentence:
● Destiny’s decision to date Orlando, a known cheater, is fatuous.
● The salesman’s fatuous comments offended the customer.
● Kevin’s euphoric and fatuous behavior at the party was entertaining and caused everyone to guffaw.*
● The racist, reckless, incendiary rhetoric spoken by the convicted criminal was fatuous.
● His fatuous demands created a hostile work environment.
*dfoww will share the word: guffaw, in September 2019.
You can change a word you really want to use into a different part of speech by adding a suffix to the word.
Fatuous = adjective
The word fatuous wouldn’t make sense nor is it grammatically correct in the following sentence:
● As I smiled fatuous at my coworker Johnnie, he almost tripped and fell on the office rug.
The correct use of the word in this sentence would be fatuously. By addind – (ly) to the word fatuous, the word becomes an adverb.
(Please review dfoww basic rules of grammar – adverbs)
● As I smiled fatuously at my coworker Johnnie, he almost tripped and fell on the office rug.
What suffix would you add to the word fatuous, to make the word a noun? Please provide your answer in the comment section below.
Now it’s your turn, on a sheet of paper or in the comment section below, write a few sentences using the word: fatuous.
Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word, by consistently incorporating it in your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word. Figuratively speaking, you’ll own the word.
dfoww will host an online workshop – Basic Rules of Grammar – prefix and suffix, later this month in July.
dfoww is seeking volunteer editors and writers who can devote 2 – 3 hours per week, assisting our lead writer and editor.
“dfoww” is a small nonprofit organization, with very limited resources. If you are interested in volunteering your time, talent, and or monetarily, please email us directly or visit our go fund me page in the link below. We appreciate any and all donations provided in an effort to help us further our mission.
Our temporary email address is: