- something or someone that one vehemently dislikes
- someone who is cursed or shunned
Examples of anathema in a sentence:
• Tequila hates the smell and taste of pork chitterlings, and views them as an anathema.
• The predatory behavior, commited by some Catholic priests against young children, are considered an anathema by the church members and society at large.
• Because many of the parents viewed caging animals as cruel and an anathema; the elementary school’s principal, canceled the students field trip to the zoo.
• Until society at large becomes educated on intersex biological variations, those born intersex will continue to be regarded as an anathema within their communities.
• Many vegans and vegetarians consider eating meat as an anathema.
Now it’s your turn, on a sheet of paper or in the comment section below, write a few sentences using the word: anathema.
Tip: Use the word during a conversation today. The more you familiarize yourself with this word, by consistently incorporating it in your vocabulary and writing, the easier it will be to remember the word. Figuratively speaking, you’ll own the word.